Senior R&D Scientist - Medical Devices
The Senior Scientist works with the R&D Team in the research and development of dental materials.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for research and development of next generation/breakthrough products.
- Be a technical expert in the dental field. Identifies key challenges and un-met needs in the dental industry.
- Understand the competitive landscape (product offerings and IP) and use the information to develop value added and differentiated products.
- Evaluation of ideas, patents, competitive products and new technologies.
- Translation of technologies to products.
- Conduct feasibility studies and provide constructive feedback on prospective projects/technologies.
- Handle initial patent disclosure and IP of new or existing outside technologies. Conveying all known patent and IP research to internal organization.
- Define, develop and test new innovative products using product development process in accordance with design control.
- Plan schedule of research according to company s timetable, and establish daily or weekly routines necessary to meet project timetable.
- Drive the Design process from conception to pilot testing, scale up, and commercialization.
- Coordinate and support all phases of product development, including conceptualization, design control, packaging, documentation development, data generation, and performance verification.
- Plans and executes laboratory and pilot plant research projects.
- Prepare and test lab batches of products for a variety of testing and evaluates the physical properties. Anticipated hands-on laboratory time is around 50%.
- Design and carry out experiments that scientifically confirm performance, reliability, and shelf life.
- Support to transfer of technology from laboratory to production line
- Anticipates technical difficulties and develops alternate strategies.
- Write patents, technical market support literature, technical presentations and publications, including internal research for publication, and support/liaison for external research conducted in line with the organization's research strategy.
- Prepares and presents written and oral reports to communicate with production, marketing, sales, and related departments.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of new and existing products.
- Train and mentor research associates.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned from time to time by supervisor.
PhD in Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Science, Organic chemistry or related fields (e.g. Materials Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering) with 5+ years of related experience, or a Master degree with 10+ years of related experience.
Alternatively, we will consider Scientist level for candidates with PhD with 1-5 years of related experience, or Master degree with 5 - 10 years of related experience, or B.S. with 12+ years of related experience.
Required Experience, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience with chemical formulations is highly preferred. Preferably with knowledge in dentistry / dental materials
- Product development experience in adhesive, cement or composite field highly desired.
- Familiar with various polymerization mechanisms, especially free-radical polymerization of methacrylate monomers.
- Knowledge of and experience with biopolymers/biomaterials is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of physical properties, especially mechanical properties of polymeric/composite materials.
- Understanding of structure-property relationships of polymeric/composite materials.
- Strong knowledge of polymer characterization techniques and design of experiments
- Track record of successfully developing innovative solutions to technically challenging synthesis chemistry, formulation, or polymer product development problems
- Strong organizational/time management skills. Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to effectively present information. Excellent written and verbal communication skills including Ability to communicate effectively across the enterprise, as well as various groups such as Marketing, Manufacturing, Regulatory, QA/QC, Supply Chain, Customer Service, Sales) and external customers and suppliers.
Sthree US is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.